On 5 December 1950 Sri Aurobindo withdrew from his body and on 9 December Sri Aurobindo's body was placed in a vault in the courtyard of the Ashram. That day the following message, which was later engraved on a marble slab and affixed to the samadhi, as the vault is known, was issued by the Mother:


"To THEE who hast been the material envelope of our Master, to THEE our infinite gratitude. Before THEE who hast done so much for us, who hast worked, struggled, suffered, hoped, endured so much, before THEE who hast willed all, attempted all, prepared, achieved all for us, before THEE we bow down and implore that we may never forget, even for a moment, all we owe to THEE."